Special invitation to APAP Painters from Vince Fazio of the Sedona Arts Center:Contemporary Oil Materials with Scott Gellatly
Sunday, Oct 21, 9-Noon at Sedona Arts Center
15 Art Barn Road Sedona, Arizona 86336
This free session is taught by Scott Gellatly, Product Manager for Gamblin Artists Colors. A painter himself, Scott consults with painters worldwide on technical issues and is involved in developing and testing all of Gamblin oil colors and mediums. Scott has given presentations on oil painting materials throughout the U.S., Canada and Australia. He holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Oregon and has exhibited his paintings throughout the west coast. His work can be seen at Brian Marki Gallery HERE.
If you would then like to put what you have learned into direct practice, we will be hosting a paint-out at the Sedona Arts Center campus from 1 - 4 pm Sunday following the presentation. Gamblin Oils is providing the paint and Gamsol for the session so you can explore the use of these materials. You will need to bring your own plein air easels, panels and brushes.
Since its founding, Gamblin Artists Colors has handcrafted luscious oil colors and contemporary mediums true to the working properties of traditional materials, yet safer and more permanent. Gamblin's dedication to today's oil painters extends beyond offering the finest possible materials. They believe in sharing their knowledge so painters can choose those materials that best support their own artistic visions.
The Lecture/Demonstration "Understanding Contemporary Oil Painting Materials" will cover the following:
· Artist's Oil Colors - Gamblin's approach to color making
· Color Theory - 2-dimensional vs 3-dimensional Color Space
· Color Mixing - Navigating Color Space: Gamblin's practical approach to color mixing
· Mineral vs Modern Pigments - How to create a personalized palette of colors
· Indirect vs Direct Techniques - Historical application of opaque and transparent colors
· FastMatte Alkyd Oil Colors - Benefits and uses of fast-drying, matte oil colors
· Galkyd Painting Mediums - Focus on working properties and choosing the right medium
· Building Permanent Paintings - Understanding Fat Over Lean approaches
· Supports, Sizing and Grounds - How they affect color and permanence
· Studio Safety - How to create a safe studio environment using Gamsol OMS
· Gamvar Picture Varnish - Understanding contemporary varnishes
All attendees will receive FREE Gamblin Product & Literature samples.
As an added bonus, Carl Judson of Guerrilla Painter will present options for plein air painting pochade boxes and accessories to make plein air painting more FUN!