Happy September APAP Painters!
A very warm Arizona welcome to new member Jan Oxendale of Sun City. Jan comes to us as a former member of Outdoor Painters of Minnesota! Check out her website at http://www.janoxendale.com, and look for her at an upcoming plein air event.
USPS's newest Hudson River School art stamps feature a Grand Canyon classic by Thomas Moran.Get yours by mail here: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_689504
Here are our newest paint-outs from our intrepid Paint-Out Coordinator, Toni Perrin:
Wednesday, SEPTEMBER 3 - Wheeler’s Property 40218 N. 78th St., Cave Creek
- Come to the intersection of Cave Creek and Schoolhouse Rd. (stop sign).
- North on Schoolhouse to Highland (a right turn only). Watch carefully for the Highland street sign.
- Right on Highland to the end of the road. The road becomes gravel, and somehow leads to or turns into 78th Street.
The driveway will be on the left and has stone markers. Drive down the slope cautiously and park.
Wednesday, SEPTEMBER 10 - Cave Creek: Jewel Of The Creek
- Come to the town of Cave Creek. You will be on Cave Creek Rd., the “main drag” which becomes an east to west route.
- North on either Spur Cross Rd. or Basin Rd. for a very short distance. Both roads go north from Cave Creek, and turn only one way onto Grapevine. Either street will get you there.
- Follow Grapevine a very short distance to Spur Cross Rd.
- North on Spur Cross until you see a gravel parking lot on the left. We will meet there.
This is a limited hiking opportunity. Plan to strap your art stuff on your back or wheel it down the road. You can walk a much or as little as you choose. There’s plenty to see, even from the parking lot.
Wednesday, SEPTEMBER 17 - Cave Creek Grapevine Location
- In Cave Creek:
- Go to the intersection of Galloway and Cave Creek Rd. (Stage Coach Village is just west of Galloway)
- North on Galloway to T intersection
- At T intersection, turn right. You will be going east on Grapevine.
- Follow Grapevine (winding road, uphill) until you see a large brown house on the left.
- Across from the house (on your right) is a large parking area. Pull in, set up, and paint.
Saturday, SEPTEMBER 20 - Mining Camp Restaurant - 6100 E Mining Camp St, Apache Junction -Hunter Spoon, host - http://www.miningcamprestaurant.com/.
Hunter will be there at 7 a.m., but you're welcome to come when you like. APAP members received additional information via email regarding an after-event luncheon.
- East on Dynamite from the intersection of Pima and Dynamite. (After going east of Alma School Dynamite is called Rio Verde.)
- East to 128th St. This is a dirt/gravel road that has some serious ruts but is negotiable by all vehicles. Most of the ruts are toward the edge of the road and deep, so drive with caution.
- Follow this road for several miles until you see a T intersection with signs to parking areas. Turn left (east) and proceed until you can't go any further. There will be a large flat area good for turning around.
The parking lots are used by joggers and cyclists. We want to paint in our own space. However, if you see something you want to paint, go ahead and stop where you wish.
Hang in there and keep painting outside. Nature is the best teacher.